Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Life is a Whirlwind

I don't know how my life can get so out of control sometimes. I know I have lots going on at times and then there are times I'm in such a lull that nothing happening.

I've bounced back from the loss of 'our' house. I had been secretly hoping the financing and stuff would fall through for the other couple. I don't like being selfish, but I was really seriously hoping something would go awry for the perspective buyers. No such luck! We found out today, it is a firm done deal. Well, congratulations to them! :) In all seriousness, it is a stunningly beautiful home, I do hope the buyers find a lifetime of happiness there. The setting is certainly perfect for it.

I've been a bit remiss in keeping my blog updated in regards to my house renovations. My bathroom is not 100% complete yet, but I can understand the reasons for it. I have a tub, shower, sink, linen tower and vanity. I got the new door installed today and the knobs put on the vanity and linen tower. All that remains is the drywall work, the painting of the walls, the door and the trim work. My contractor is trying to find a drywaller that will come in and drywall the bathroom areas that need repair as well as my basement and the headers. It is a small job and drywallers don't want to come out for anything less than a whole house. Small job; coulda fooled me. I thought the job was huge. Shows ya what I know!

I've made a decision about the flooring for my computer room. I went to End of the Roll today to get an estimate - NO THANK YOU! The computer room dimensions aren't huge. They are 6 stairs, a section 3'x4' and then the main computer room 8.5' x 36'. To buy carpet it would have been just shy $600 + $220ish to install it.... somewhere around $800. Holy, I think not. Todd and I went over to Home Depot, which I love by the way, and laminate flooring would cost me $200+ and then I'll do oak stair treads and still come in way under $800. The laminate flooring isn't the best quality, but it's better than the alternative. The best part of this new deal is that Home Depot has no interest, no payments for 1 full year and Todd is going to put the flooring on his credit card and then I'll have a full year to pay it off. I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief. I was very apprehensive about the estimate for this room and I now know why. It is insanely expensive to do carpet and had a gut feeling it would be. Trust the instincts!

Todd and I have been doing some talking about our options now... buy a pre-owned home or build. We are thinking of staying in the city, or outer city limits for now. It would be prudent to do this for the next 5 years and then decide if we want to sell and look to the country for living. Doing this 5 year plan would enable Lily to grow up some more, gain some more independence and make the overall transition for her a lot easier.

The thing Todd and I are pondering is, buy a pre-owned home and sell in 5 years, or build and stay longer... build what we want and make a commitment to stay in it longer than we would if it were a pre-owned. So many decisions and major ones to consider. We went to a friend of Todd's today that just built a home in June. OMG what a home. 1400 sq feet and it seemed as though it were 1800, just from the way they've designed the layout. They used every available sq foot to the maximum. I left their house more confused than when I went in. I love it though. The house is gorgeous, the decorating is amazing and the idea of doing what we want is really tempting. A lot of work and a lot of pressure, but oh so tempting.

I think today has resulted in more questions than answers. Oh, to know what to do. Am I supposed to be having fun yet? I've barely slept in almost a month. I go to bed at night and sleep awesome for about 2-4 hours and then the rest of the night I'm up tossing and turning with my head running in circles. I'm driving myself insane. I've not been to the gym in over 2 weeks. I'm frustrated in that respect, but when I'm laying awake at 3am, the thought of getting out of bed for 5am is more than I can bear. I really wish I could slow myself down and not be such a raving lunatic!

On that note I'm off to do a bit of stitching before bed. I miss the quiet and grounding I get from my stitching. Long winded post tonight, sorry about that!

Happy stitching days to you!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

All that and not one comment about me!! Hmph! **Stomps away**..LOL...Just kidding hun!! XOXO
Krista

Velda said...

lol Krista...

well T, you could always plan a wedding instead, that'd be alot less stressful than the house idea *ducking and running*

Chris said...

Like V - I've heard that planning a wedding is less stressful than building a house. (hoping you can't throw anythingg far enough to hit me). Good luck in whichever way you decide to go. (new or pre-owned).

Lelia said...

Hang in there, sounds like you are pondering several options ... and remember, whatever decision you make, stick with it. Don't second guess yourselves. That is my two cents worth.

Andie said...

Hiya :) Thanks for stopping by my blog :) Your stitching looks great :)

Pumpkin said...

NO need to apologize girl! You have a lot going on. DH and I have been through that as well but there isn't any land in or close to the city. We're very limited. An answer will come along, believe me. Just take it a day at a time :o)