Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Tortoise or Hare Here?

So, I've been reading a lot of blogs lately, not that reading the blogs is anything new, but the topic is what has me here questioning and wondering.

Tis the season of the running. Marathon training, half marathon training. It's like when you're pregnant all you see is pregnant women kind of blog entries. Seems as though everyone, or most everyone is talking about running, pushing, learning and training for one thing or another. Maybe it's always been there, but now that I'm training for my own half marathon I'm more aware. Anyway, I ramble.


What I'm questioning is the following things:

  • What pace is 'slow'?
  • How dismissive is it to say you (referring to self) that you are slow.
  • What does it matter if you're going at a pace that is good for you, especially if you're just starting out.
  • Who are you competing against if you're not trying to qualify for the New York or Boston marathon? Yourself, right?


I've noticed that a lot of people are so quick to say, "I'm really slow, yada yada yada". What is really important is that they took the time and effort to run. Period. Speed will come with time and with that time a huge commitment to this thing we do - run.

I do love to see the entries of other runners when they share their time and distance. Tiff and Bre and Amy to name a few. Sorry girls for not linking. It's late and I'm tired. The times they share give me a benchmark for where I am and a place that I may, some day be. They share their times in a matter of fact way, not in a manner that is dismissive to themselves or in a way that makes me think I'm coming up short or slow.

Does any of what I've just ranted and rambled about make sense?



    Post a Comment