Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Tortoise or Hare Here?

So, I've been reading a lot of blogs lately, not that reading the blogs is anything new, but the topic is what has me here questioning and wondering.

Tis the season of the running. Marathon training, half marathon training. It's like when you're pregnant all you see is pregnant women kind of blog entries. Seems as though everyone, or most everyone is talking about running, pushing, learning and training for one thing or another. Maybe it's always been there, but now that I'm training for my own half marathon I'm more aware. Anyway, I ramble.


What I'm questioning is the following things:

  • What pace is 'slow'?
  • How dismissive is it to say you (referring to self) that you are slow.
  • What does it matter if you're going at a pace that is good for you, especially if you're just starting out.
  • Who are you competing against if you're not trying to qualify for the New York or Boston marathon? Yourself, right?


I've noticed that a lot of people are so quick to say, "I'm really slow, yada yada yada". What is really important is that they took the time and effort to run. Period. Speed will come with time and with that time a huge commitment to this thing we do - run.

I do love to see the entries of other runners when they share their time and distance. Tiff and Bre and Amy to name a few. Sorry girls for not linking. It's late and I'm tired. The times they share give me a benchmark for where I am and a place that I may, some day be. They share their times in a matter of fact way, not in a manner that is dismissive to themselves or in a way that makes me think I'm coming up short or slow.

Does any of what I've just ranted and rambled about make sense?



    6 comments:

    Marcelle said...

    I got all caught up with running and time last year - I was running 5km in 30.35sec..and if felt like I was RUNNING away from a robber...I hated it, I preferred running where I was enjoying and felt I was coping..my time would then be around 33.35 for 5km...Now I am just grateful I can run...and time makes no difference to me anymore - I was facing never being able to run again...so now I run and each time give thanks. It put things in perspective to me.

    Syl said...

    To me time has never really been an issue. I feel that I am on the slow side, but don't compare myself to others. When going into a run I give myself a "reasonable goal" and then when I come in before it I feel accomplished.

    for me right now it's distance over time. I would say I'd like to run my half in 2hrs but am going to set a goal of 2 1/2 hours because if I come in at 2 hrs and 15 then I won't be disappointed.

    Everyone has their own fitness levels, what may seem slow to one person, may seem like a "tortoise" run to someone else.

    Amy said...

    My thoughts are similar to Marcelle's.

    I've been a fast runner, but I hated running.

    I'm slow, an I don't really give a shit.

    To give you an idea, my "natural" times are about this:

    5k- 33-35 mins
    10k - 1h10 - 1h15
    20k - 2h30 mins

    Bre said...

    My thoughts pretty much echo Marcelle, Syl and Amy.

    The only thing that really bothers me now is when someone refers to me as a jogger. - I don't jog, I RUN! Otherwise I don't care if people think I'm slow or fast - our running group is a very diverse group of runner everywhere from 8 minute milers to 16 minute milers. Everyone up the chain admires the next group up - it is a beautiful thing and I find it is only the runners who think of them as slow - that call themselves slow - I have yet to hear any of the faster groups call the others slow - we do that ourselves.

    Junie B said...

    speed is relative. i think people in general, who say 'i'm slow' are at that point in time comparing themselves to someone that they admire as it pertains to running and speed...

    i use to do that, but no longer. and not just because i am faster...i am still not FAST...compared to some...but i AM faster than others...

    it still shocks me when some say 'you're too fast for me'...whaaaat??? it makes me feel good though...

    sorry for the ramble! i just found your blog!

    Kristin said...

    It rambles a bit but makes absolute sense.

    I'm just impressed with those of you who do run.