Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sing-a-long Training Session

My run today was fun. It wasn't easy for whatever reason, but it was fun. Getting on the treadmill with a purpose and goal in mind really changes the way I look at this adventure, and what an adventure it is going to be.

I was singing away and killing every song that popped up on my ipod. I have to break the habit of singing while I run or I'm going to get myself a beat down in the city of Ottawa. I can just see me now I'll be running by myself because those in front of me will be horrified by the gawd awful sound coming up behind they will part like the Red Sea. Take a minute to visualize it. Ugly. Now take another minute to compose yourself and read on.

The plan today was 30 minutes at a moderate level of intensity. I covered 3.5KM (2.2 miles) in that time. I don't have a benchmark for comparison, so I'm saying that was good. I don't really know though. I am suffering some leg pain in my left calf area. Always my left side if I'm going to feel any discomfort it will 99.9% of the time be on my left side. Tomorrow is my rest day. Is it bad that even this early on in the preparation of this I'm excited for a rest day.

I was thinking about the singing while I was running and I think the reason I do that is so I can drown out any of the negative chatter, that is until the negative chatter hits a high pitch squeal and overtakes the singing. I can still run on oblivious for a bit because I've often confused the negative chatter with singing, so really it's a win win situation all around.

Have a great day. Be kind to yourself

4 comments:

Syl said...

your singing reminds me of when me and my boys dance around the kitchen when my husband is at work...I'm just waiting for the day he comes home early and catches us :-)

Great job on the run!

Rebel In Ontario said...

Nice to hear I'm not the only crazy one! I've had the kids tell me more than once that I need to stop singing while we are walking!

K-Pow said...

Sing it sista!!!

Don't forget to stretch, stretch & stretch some more.

Good luck with the calf pain!

Anonymous said...

Maybe them parting to let you through is a good idea. Pretty soon you'll be so fast that they will have to move out of your way, and singing is a good warning for them to step aside!
Honestly though, just do whatever works for you. Great workout! :)