Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Desire for Running Toys

I'm feeling much better today, although I'm not going to overdo it. I have my energy back and I want to keep it that way, so I'm keeping it pretty low key for the rest of the day.

I just got off the treadmill from a 42 minute run 5.2K (3.25 miles). I'm pretty happy with that distance in that amount of time. It's really funny how I look forward to getting the the treadmill for my pre-planned runs. When I was just getting on there to try and lose weight and get back to a place that I liked the look and feel of my body, I would come up with every excuse known to mankind as to why not to get on the treadmill. Now, I'm looking forward to it, really looking forward to it. I guess I'm a goal oriented girl after all. Knowing that I'm working towards and end result is what I've needed all along. Okay, I've always known that I'm a goal oriented girl! I was just clarifying for those of you that may not be aware.

The only apprehension right now, is that this particular 1/2 marathon, as with any, it is run on the street. I think I'm a shitty street runner.A shitty street runner and that's not accounting for how my GI tract reacts on long runs.... no you don't want to know about that. Trust me!!! I started on the treadmill. I love the treadmill. Enough of those hissing boo's I can hear from some of you. The street intimidates me. I think that right there is reason enough to look forward to the street so I can kick it's ass! How about that?

I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to buy a Garmin. Costco has the Garmin 305 for just under $200 and in my hate of street running this little toy may be a fun addition to an otherwise painful endeavour. Good idea?? Other than the Garmin, I think all I need is a new pair of shoes. I'm going to hit up the Running Room and have the knowledgeable staff there fit me for a good pair of shoes. I'm going to do some deep breathing exercises beforehand so as not so keel over from sticker shock! I'll be working a part time job just to buy shoes and fancy running watches. Will I ever learn?

Anyway, I'm off to make some lunch and cherish the fact that my running is done for today. Oh ya, and tomorrow is an off day. Yaaaa for off days!! The sense of accomplishment is incredible and the distances aren't even crazy yet. How are you going to put up with me when they are crazy? Sorry!

Have a great day, all my friend that live inside my computer, and those of you that comment that live outside of it too.... you know who you are..... MWAH

5 comments:

Bre said...

You are doing so well! I'm so proud of you!! Yu will love your Garmin once you get it - I don't see how I eve lived without mine!! And Costco is the best deal too! Awesomeness!!

Unknown said...

I'm just starting to run actual distances - I love being able to say I ran 5k on the treadmill! I want a garmin as well, but it's just not in the budget right now!

Grace said...

I'm glad you are feeling better and I am impressed as hell that you are running, whether it is indoors or out. But don't overdo it until you are totally well!

BTW I left you an award on my blog... you are one of my most beautiful blogging friends. Thanks for being there for me when I needed the encouragement and for the insight you've given me. Love ya!

Ruth said...

It's always a great place to be in when you are looking forward to a good workout. I feel like lately I have been the opposite.

Tiffa said...

I love my garmin muchly! It has been an excellent training tool. the biggest advice I can give to anyone transitioning from treadmill to road is to start SLOW. Like the slowest run you can imagine, try to run EVEN SLOWER! As I read somewhere... "an embarrasingly slow pace"! I noticed when I got my garmin that I had been starting my runs super speedy and then as a result, felt like dying in the last half of my run! The garmin has helped me with the pacing aspect, although I still struggle at times. It's hard to run slow but it's the best way to start out your run so you have fuel in the tank.

Wow, sorry for the run-on paragraph!