Friday, May 09, 2008

From The Mouth Of The Horse

After much speculation around my office, it has been confirmed. My co-worker is leaving. Her and I had a chance to talk today and she told me she is officially finished July 31. It was a sad moment for the two of us. She is happy and scared all at the same time, and as happy as I am for her to move on to this new and different chapter in her life, I'm really going to miss her.

My office is staffed by 11 women and as much as we are co-workers we are more like family. The things we have gone through together is the type of live experiences you share with your family. We have celebrated together and mourned together. In the almost 9 years since I've worked in my office, we have seen a separation, a daughter with breast cancer, a mother admitted to hospital with many ailments, weddings, numerous grandchildren being born, grandfathers passing away, grade school graduations, university graduations, housewarming parties, new houses, renovations, trips to Costa Rica, Ireland, Florida, the East Coast and beyond. The life experiences we've shared are the things that make me realize the people I share my office with, I very much share my life with as well. As much as we will struggle as a group at times, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Our job is one that can be very relaxed and in an instant be something of a war zone. It is with teamwork that the office runs smoothly and without the trust and support of one another, the job, or each individual in that team would not be near as successful as they are as a single unit, working towards the common goal of doing our job and holding up our own part of the team.

I guess as much as I describe a team work effort, it could very well be paralleled to that of a family. A family is only as strong as it's weakest link as is my office. I sadly, as much as I love the girls I work with, spend more time with them than I do my own family. When life is exciting it is them I share, the same with the sad. Some of the most support I've received been has been in the hugs of my co-workers. I like to think in my own small way I've given the same love and support to them.

My dearest girl, I shall not name you, since it's not been made official through appropriate channels that you are leaving. Know, with sadness I prepare for your leaving and with joy in my heart, I also get ready to bid you 'comfortably numb' in this new and exciting chapter in your life. Love you!

3 comments:

Chiloe said...

Maybe you'll be lucky to have a new wonderful co worker ;)

Velda said...

I'm glad you work with such a wonderful group of 'sisters'

Pumpkin said...

That's wonderful that you all get along because that's not the case very often. No wonder you will miss her.