Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Tweet Tweet!

Feeling very bird-like at the the moment.

Thanks to a conversation I recently had with Cute Boy in regards to the upcoming celebration of Christmas Day without my daughters, I've been forced to think of my life in view of how it will be when Princess is off living her own life. Cute Boy said to me, "So, you're really going to suffer the empty nest syndrome when Princess is no longer home with you".... ummmmm, ya! I hadn't ever thought of it before, but that is going to be a major challenge for me. I'm not looking forward to it one bit! I certainly hope Cute Boy's love really is unconditional, because I can imagine I'm going to be a peach to deal with at that juncture! Oh joy, I can hardly wait.

How does this relate to Christmas? I'm already dreading the moment I wake up to know I have to quash the heartache of my girls not being with me. I tell them often that Christmas spirit is in your heart. Christmas isn't about just gifts and December 25th, but about being with those you love, be it the 25th or any day thereabouts. I now have to put to practice what I preach.

I have never spent Christmas Day away from the girls, as I've said, so this is going to be a year of a new kind of tradition. Cute Boy and I are going to sleep until we sleep and that is going to be cute and cuddly time. We will then take the dog out for her walk, brew coffee, have breakfast and then the day is up in the air from there. It will be different, that is for sure.

The girls and I are going to be celebrating our Christmas on Tuesday December 23rd. I'm not sure how long I will see them since Queenie is being driven down by her father and then after we are done, Princess is going to his house for Christmas. This arrangement is already becoming a hassle since he wants to be in town as little as possible, so that puts the pressure on us to do our Christmas quickly. It is heartbreaking to say the least, but I will say nothing, so as to try and keep the girls from feeling the tug. If I get 20 minutes or 2 hours, I will cherish it. The joy of giving to them and their little girl laughter and giggles will be a Christmas present in itself. I know they are no longer little girls in stature and appearance, but in my heart they will always be my little girls.

So, this momma bird is dealing with an empty nest, but a full heart. A heart filled with the love I have for my daughters and the blessings that I am able to share in their lives, be it December 25th, 23 or 21st.

6 comments:

Velda said...

((((((((((hugs))))))))))

Felicity said...

(BIG HUGS) from me too. I've been swapping Xmas with my kids (like you are doing for the first time) since 1992. Don't panic! Don't do the drama queen bit. Take it from one who knows, be strong and make Xmas a moveable feast. You learn to enjoy Christmas in different ways. In the next few years, you will make new Christmas traditions that become as important to the kids as what you used to have in the past.

We (my kids and I) have Christmas dinner some time between the last week in November and December 25. We also do Xmas in July with other friends and extended family. Make excuses for fun times together. This year, we are having Christmas on Sunday coming. Even the kids' dad is coming for the event. This gives the now adult off-spring the availability to visit their 'in-laws' without guilt. Everyone wins. Make yourself a winner too.

K-Pow said...

(((HUGE GINORMOUS HUGS)))

I know that I have no idea how this feels, but like you said whatever time you are with your girls IS Christmas no matter what day it falls on.

Now you will get to start your own new traditions with Cute boy!!!

If you need some craziness added to the mix you are always welcome to stop by our place as I'm sure we will have crazy to spare! :)

XOXO

Chris said...

{{{HUGS}}} Don't worry about the date, just enjoy your time with the girls.

Chiloe said...

Sending you lots of hugs so you can be strong when the time arrive ;-) it is going to be hard but you are going to make it . Enjoy those moments, short or not!

Pumpkin said...

I'm sorry to hear that Tammy :o( I hope it wasn't too bad. ((((HUGS))))