Tuesday, March 09, 2010

The Easy Run That Was Anything But

I mentioned in an easier entry that my knee and ankle were bothering me from my long run on Sunday. I took Monday off as my rest day and picked up my run schedule today, or so I thought I was going to pick back up where I left off. I was to run an easy 32 minutes today and I couldn't make it outside 13 minutes. I was in such pain that I had to shut it down. My mind kept insisting I could do this, but I know my body better than that and I was not risking injury. I am in pain so I could already be dealing with a minor injury, but I'm not going to push to the point that I undo what I've done so far.

In my past life when I used to work out 6 days a week lifting weights and cardio combined, I was never granted the freedom to take many days off to heal. I can remember the day as if it were yesterday when I first aggravated my sciatic nerve. I was doing incline leg presses and I felt the snap and ache. I had to roll off the machine on to the floor and could barely pull myself upright. The humiliation of standing in the gym crying, and I mean crying, it was just like yesterday. I dried up the tears and finished the workout. It was what was expected of me, so I did it. No more. I am more in tuned to my body and it's cries for help. It took what seemed like forever for my sciatic nerve to stop bothering me. I had a similar situation with my right shoulder, but not the tears in the gym and not near the excruciating pain.

I am trying to listen to my body, but not be a wimp. I am trying to learn from past mistakes, and not let them control my future success. I am trying to stay positive even though my head is screaming scary thoughts at me.

Post a Comment