Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sciatic Sadness

I hate this, I really do.

My sciatic nerve is acting up again. I can't believe it. I'm so very sad.

I've been in denial for the last couple weeks and have to finally admit to myself that the sciatic nerve is rearing it's ugly head again. I was sitting on the couch last night in excruciating pain. I was almost in tears, but fought them back. Tears are not going to make it better. I'm feeling the tinges of pain in various areas of my day to day functions. I get nasty aches in my left hip, so much so that I wake up in pain. I feel a dull/sharp shooting pain in my left calf shooting from my hip. I can feel the stiffness setting in after a day sitting at work. I try to move around a bit more than normal. That is often easier said than done. This job is too unpredictable to be up walking around. Not to mention that I think my coworkers would get a bit annoyed if I were to become a slacker.

I'm pissed. It's been a hellish week and this admission doesn't make it any better. Life is good, but things are just happening around me that I can't control. The control freak in me is not happy!

I'm not going to let this stop me. I'm not hitting the gym with the intensity that I'm accustomed and I want to still be able to go to the gym, so I'm going to continue on but just not overdo it. I don't ALWAYS feel the pain when on the treadmill, but after, especially if I really push it. It's always something, isn't it? I guess that's what happens when you're knocking on the door of 40 years old.

On that note, have a great one!

4 comments:

Grace said...

Believe me, I feel for you! I have also suffered from sciatica in the past, and it is somewhat relieved by stretching your hip muscle. My favorite stretch is to put the foot of the bad leg onto the thigh of the other leg, and then gently lean forward. It will stretch out that muscle which is in spasm and causing the problem.

I found a website that has a picture of what I do. Here it is (it’s the girl on the left). It really helps. There are also other stretches that do the same thing.

http://www.drbackman.com/piriformis-muscle-stretch.htm

Hope you feel better soon!

Grace said...

Sorry, it appears the last part of the link was messed up. Here it is in two parts cuz the comment form keeps cutting off the end.

http://www.drbackman.com/
piriformis-muscle-stretch.htm

I forgot to add, this is helpful because you can even do it sitting at your desk without being too obvious. I've even done it while sitting in church. :-)

Bre said...

((HUGS)) Hon - I'm so sorry your sciatic is acting up. That stretch that Graciela described is my fave!! I hope it gets better real soon, you really need a break!!

K-Pow said...

Stupid sciatic nerve! Don't be hurting yourself girl...as much as you want to be all hard core at the gym, its not worth it!

I'm with Graciela & Bre...stretch it out!