Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Tribute to Turtles and Me

Taking their home with them wherever they go, Turtles remind us to remember our roots while still welcoming new places and phases in life.
They teach us to appreciate life's simple, true necessities; shelter, food, drink and most importantly, faith.
The Turtle's slow gait requires the animal to have faith that it will eventually get where it is going and that the needs will be satisfied along the way.
~ From ancient American Indian Philosophy

I like the idea behind this and for the most part, think it very much represents who I am and things that are important to me.

The turtle I used to be and the turtle I am now are very different, although I must say they are both represented in the person I am today. Turtling is what I used to do when in tremendous pain and heartache and I was dubbed with a 'TT' nickname, that I now love. It has been quite the journey for me from the turtle of yesterday to the turtle of today and one I'm glad I was able to travel. What started out as a very sad day and life path has turned in to the most beautiful and exciting time of my life. I couldn't be happier and more thankful for the heartache that put me right here right now.

I will be forever tied to the turtle and in the most personal of ways, since I now sport a turtle tattoo on my left wrist, bottom side. It is sitting just at the spot that you place two fingers to take a pulse, which was chosen for that exact reason. This turtle is a symbol of my life in the simplest of ways - life!

Thanks Zeena for the reminder of why I love turtles and the special place they hold in my heart. All this from a little e-mail about a very unique pair of stitching scissors. Isn't life funny like that?!

3 comments:

Pumpkin said...

What a beautiful post Tammy :o) I love the fact that you got your turtle tattoo on your wrist. Life is a journey and we all know that they are never what we expect them to be. I'm glad you are happy where you are now.

Btw, did you know that turtles can breathe through their butts? Sorry! I couldn't resist ;o)

Velda said...

lol pumpkin....oh I could so go there with that, but I'll be nice lol....

Tammy, you've come a lonnnnnnnng way baby!

Chris said...

Love the ancient American Indian Philosophy. (What can I say, I collect turtles and Native American stuff).