Thursday, December 20, 2007

Dear Santa Dennis


Here is the first of two stitched Christmas presents I'm giving this year. The first time I saw this piece I fell in love with it and I must say, the feelings haven't changed.

I'm giving this to a friend of mine that works as a security guard here in 'my' hospital. Dennis started popping in to our office to check on us and from there started popping in to visit and friendships ensued.

I started this piece quite some time ago and originally it was going to be my piece. As the piece came together Dennis would see the progress I was making, and would kindly comment. He would joke around that I stitch him one too. Well, I'm not restitching this piece for him, I'm giving him mine.

I'll tell you a little bit about Dennis. He is an honest to goodness, true salt of the earth man. He has seen me through many ups and downs in my personal life, offered hugs when needed and a strong supportive shoulder when that was the answer.

Dennis is one of the most giving and generous people I've even known. There are many positive things that can be said about Dennis, but one of the things that most touches my heart, is his thoughtfulness at Christmas time. You see, Dennis plays Santa here at the hospital. He comes in on the weekends during the month of December to have pictures taken with the staff's children as well as our younger patients. Dennis is a wonderful Santa! You should hear his 'Ho! Ho! Ho!", and his beard which he starts growing in around September so it's good and full come Christmas time. Christmas day you'll find Dennis down in Paediatrics giving the little ones a break from the sickness and heartache they are saddled to be replaced with a giggle and a vision of Santa himself. It is in this spirit that I part with my beloved Dear Santa, as there is no one more fitting than Dennis to receive it.

I know for certain, the world would be a better place if there were more people like Dennis walking the streets. I love you, Dennis. Merry Christmas.




5 comments:

Velda said...

*sniff sniff* I had NO IDEA you'd finished that! I'm SO glad you're giving it to him. I always see your face glow when you talk about him. YOU are a sweetheart to do that for him. Bring kleenex to tho, for BOTH of you!

Pumpkin said...

What a wonderful and thoughtful gift Tammy! It sounds like Dennis definitely deserves it :o) You're right, it's too bad there weren't more people like him out there in the world.

Dani - tkdchick said...

What a beautiful gift!!!

Jen said...

Tammy, that is gorgeous and I hope he likes it? He's sure to appreciate it as he knows how much time you have put into it!

Jen

PS: How do you make smores in a crockpot? I'm dying to know!

Jen said...

Thanks Tammy, how inventive, I'd never have thought of that, but just perfect for when we can't build a fire!