Saturday, June 05, 2010

Why I Relay


This would be the reason I relay this year!



This year's team


One of my beautiful daughters ~ Princess



This year's version of Velda's Angels is now put to bed.


I am very proud to announce we raised over $3650+ dollars as a team. I am hopeful there is more money out there. I had a few team members that didn't show up or have their money sent in by those that did come out and support us.

I've learned a lot about others and more importantly a lot about myself while doing this relay team this year. I'm not sure all of it is good on either front. Along the way, I've been honoured, I've been annoyed, I've been thoroughly pissed off and upset, I've been disappointed and sometimes stunned. I know I should be more impressed with the money raised, rather than a bitter taste in mouth by the actions of some, but the frustration of this daunting task is more than I anticipated.
I was blessed by a few team members that were available, helpful and committed. It wasn't about signing up in name only and then never being present for an event, not one, or only one event. It was a commitment of time and emotions, not just a phoned in experience. For those team members, thank you!

I didn't intend to come here and rant about this that or the other. The reason for why I do what I do is because of Velda. That being said, I don't deal well if I perceive the reason why some are doing this is for the wrong reasons. The problems I for see in future years is being able to control the team members I have and that is near to impossible. You can't control who joins, so as soon as I activate my account for next year, I'm stuck with running the risk of team members I've struggled with this year.

On a very positive note, Cute Boy saw how much I struggled. The commitment issues of others, and the way I was doing what I could at the eleventh hour to keep the wheels from falling off, and he told me he's in for next year if I do this. I don't know how I could not do. This is about Velda after all. Having Cute Boy on the team would be awesome. I've never been on a relay team with a guy before, so that would present a whole new dynamic. Not to mention I love this man to bits! I look forward to that different dynamic.

All in all, the event was a success, monetarily. Emotionally not so much.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Thank you for all you did!

Kristin said...

I'm sorry it fell short of being a total success. You totally rock for what you've done.

Velda said...

I don't even know what to say :( You did SO much and for those few to basically not give a shit makes me so angry. I cannot thank you enuf for all you did. I wish *I* could have helped more.