Sunday, May 02, 2010

A 5K Day

So, as some readers may be aware, I've been suffering from shin splints and on account of that, I've pretty much nixed my 1/2 marathon training in the hopes of not aggravating the situation.

My 1/2 marathon is less than a month away and I'm getting nervous about the time off and the injury. I have to test the body at some point. Today is that day.

I stretched.
I ran 5K (40 minutes).
I stretched.
I iced.

I'm still breathing and feel not too bad. My time is in line with my normal 5K time give or take a few minutes. I'm good with that. My bowels are not playing along, but I'm hoping over the next 2-3 weeks with consistent 5-10K's my body (bowels) catch up with the training plan.

There is something sweet about looking at the sweat glistening on my shoulders as I was pumping away. I love the trickle of it running down my back. The burn of the muscles. The beat of my heart. This isn't the easiest thing I've ever done, but it certainly is one of the most incredible feelings. It is so out of my comfort zone it's unbelievable. That is priceless!

No comments: