Sunday, June 22, 2008

Save Karyn - Karyn Bosnak


After moving to New York from Chicago for a lucrative position at a new television court show, Bosnak digs herself into a more than $20,000 hole in less than a year. With stars in her eyes, she blindly plunks down $778 on lingerie here and $387 on a cut and color there. She justifies her frivolity as "emergencies" and "investments" in herself. "I was twenty-seven years old and I wasn't going to be a spring chicken much longer. So I needed these nighties to look as sexy as I could because I needed to land a man. So they were kind of like an investment. An investment in my sex life and an investment in my future." Unable to pay her bills while employed, Bosnak's luck takes a turn for the worse when the court show is canceled. She is able to land a job at yet another TV show, but that, too, doesn't last long. When her financial situation is truly desperate, she posts a "help-needed" message on craigslist.org (an interactive classifieds page). When the site administrators remove her posting, Bosnak decides to set up her own Web site: www. savekaryn.com. With financial contributions from strangers, sales from eBay and donations of all kinds, she's able to pay all her bills in five short months. Each chapter opens with a spread of her credit card statements, outlining her month's purchases. This detail would be sufficient, but this self-absorbed book is filled with the overwhelming minutiae of Bosnak's shallow extravagance, making it hard to empathize with her during tough times or celebrate her escape from debt. Copyright 2003 Reed Business Information, Inc.


~~~~~~~~~~~
Book #13 - I've been reading Karyn's blog for quite some time now. I don't know how I stumbled upon it, but I can tell you without hesitation, I'm extremely happy it did. This blog has to be one of the best out there. It is hilarious, a touch quirky, and a lot random. I love it. You have to search for the entry 'cliquey dogs'. I laughed so hard I was almost crying. On second thought, I may have cried.

Oh ya, this is really where I'm supposed to talk about the book. I loved it. It was sad in parts. I know at one point I cried. I can't remember why exactly or what happened to her, but I just remember this incredible sense of sadness for her. All in all it was a very entertaining, fun read. I feel bad saying it was fun, because this was her real life, she lived these nightmares. She reminds a little bit of my daughter at times with her positive outlook on the world, believing that good really does outweigh the bad. It is refreshing and I recommend it to anyone to read.

Karyn's spin on things is downright hilarious. She isn't afraid to poke fun at herself. She is so freaking funny, I can't even tell you. I laughed out loud more times than not. I was always reading parts to people... pubicle cubicle is a gut busting hilarious section.

I'm looking forward to picking up her next book
20 Times A Lady. I'm sure it will be just as much fun.

2 comments:

Deirdre said...

This looks like an interesting read. I think I will add it to my list. I just started When Day Breaks by Mary Jane Clark.

Chris said...

Thanks Tammy....like my to read list needed any help:)