Monday, March 29, 2010

Horses, Cows and Rides, Oh My

My longest run to date 13.1

The weather was crisp and extremely windy. I felt at times I was over dressed and then at other times annoyed with myself for forgetting little mittens. I hit the road with Keith (no last name necessary), Tim and Faith, some Rob Thomas, Jay-Z and Alicia Keys, Chris Brown (bad decision maker) and Lady A.

I find with every run, I'm more and more amazed at the mental thoughts that are a burden and a blessing. At one point, I had the wind at my back and through my mind flits the Irish prayer:

Wind At Your Back
May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields
And until we meet again
May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.


I wish the wind had stayed at my back. I would have much preferred it at my back as opposed to the wind that was whipping crosswind and pushing me sideways. Not fun at all.

On my travels I made friends with these beautiful creatures


And these cuties!


The best picture all day was this one

I wanted so much to know I could do this in under 3 hours and I did. It wasn't the prettiest run or the most fluid displays of athleticism, but I did it. That, right now, is as good as it gets.

I will tell you though, I was a ways from home at this point, but far enough that I was done. Spent. No more in the tank done. I called Pam when I hit the 13.1 to see where she was and what she was up to. She was just driving through my neighbourhood and I asked her to come pick me up. Being the good girl she is, she thought I was hurt and came to my rescue. She was not impressed to see I wasn't hurt and that I just wanted a ride the rest of the way home. I can't believe I did that to myself. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I should have just kept going and not wimped out like I did. I'm rather annoyed with myself, but I can't change it now. I was just calling her to tell her my 13.1 time, but got away from myself in getting a ride home.

It is funny how your perspective changes because this coming long run is only 70 minutes. Did I just say, ONLY 70 minutes. Compared to 2 hours and 38 minutes, 70 minutes should be a walk in the park. Okay, maybe not easy, but easier.

I just ran the equivalent of a half marathon on a training run. Crazy!




3 comments:

Marcelle said...

Well done Tammy, what a fantastic run...I feel guilty as I wont run in the cold and wind and know so many other runners do...I'm such a girl!! LOL

Bre said...

Great job!!! I'm so proud!

Tiffa said...

Awesome job! Keep up the great work!!!