Monday, January 11, 2010

The Journey Has Begun

I officially started training for my half marathon today. I ran an easy 24 minutes with a 30 minute run planned for tomorrow.


I was on the treadmill today, at an 'off' time for me. I'm a relatively early morning worker outer, but today life didn't play that way. It felt great to be working towards a goal and not just on the treadmill to offset a bad food choice or fit in to a smaller sized pair of jeans. Those things will still present themselves from time to time, but not today. Today was about starting my training to run a half marathon. It was positive mental chatter knowing that I had a major goal to work towards. Funny how the games in your head can be of service sometimes. I still sometimes shake my head at myself over this one.


Where did the desire to do this come from, you ask? Okay, I know you didn't ask, but I'm telling ya. Me throwing this out as an idea of something I would like to do one day while in conversation with Pam and her jumping at the idea that this would be a good thing for me to do. It was about me keeping busy with both girls gone and fighting a depression. I've experienced depressions (2 or 3) and I don't want to suffer another. Funny thing really, I've not suffered a depression since I've started working out. Makes sense if you think about it.


I ran 24 minutes at an easy pace covering 1.7 miles (2.7KM) doing 3 and 1 intervals. It felt incredible. I can't believe I'm really doing this. I am though!


The plans for the race weekend have been discussed and it looks as though there will be 4 of us on a roadtrip to Ottawa. Should be good times. What am I saying, should be, it will be. I'm just waiting on confirmation from 2 of the girls to make sure they can get the things figured out in the family obligations and another that she can get time off from work.


One thing I know for certain, the colour of shirt I will be wearing will be red. Is that silly or what?


To steal a quote from my Lululemon bag, "Do one thing a day that scares you."

No comments: